[Air-l] turnitin issue

burkx006 at umn.edu burkx006 at umn.edu
Fri Mar 9 08:26:42 PST 2007

On Mar 9 2007, James Whyte wrote:

> It occurs to me that requiring a student to agree to Turnitin as a
> requirement for a course may be a "contract" made under duress and
> therefore subject to challenge.

Legally, no, this is not duress. Simply witholding a desired benefit in a
competitive marketplace will typically not be duress. The student can take
a different class, or go to a different school, or choose a different
career. There are enough alternatives, and no threat to necessities of
life, that duress is not a credible claim.

That does not resolve the ethical question of coercion, as several people
have pointed out. I am not certain that the analogy to requiring
spellchecking works, since that sort of requriment seems to be part of
pedagogy to teach students a skill, and Turnitin matching seems to be more
of a policing function.

In that vein, I am not sure that I understand Marjorie's claim that
Turnitin is useful for teaching referencing, since no one outside the
company knows the matching algorithm -- the criteria for text comparison
are unknown, so it is hard for me to see what the students would learn.
Perhaps she could say more about that.

DLB

--
Dan L. Burk