[Air-l] turnitin issue [and privacy+security of students]

burkx006 at umn.edu burkx006 at umn.edu
Fri Mar 9 10:09:47 PST 2007

On Mar 9 2007, Richard Stevens wrote:

>Why would the gov't be interested in electronic forms of student
>papers? Well, considering that Homeland Security has in the past
>stated a focus on incoming exchange student programs (thereby
>granting student visas) as a high-level security threat for allowing
>potential terrorists to enter the country, I'd say this desired
>access is not beyond the realm of interest to our government.

Although I think this is a good point, everything we know about Turnitin
indicates that they are storing a hash of the paper, rather than the full
paper itself. I can see that the feds might well be interested in the
topics of certain student papers, but I am not at all certain that the
content can be reconstructed from what could be subpeoned or NSL'd. DLB

--
Dan L. Burk
Oppenheimer, Wolff & Donnelly Professor
bits: burkx006 at umn.edu