[Air-l] turnitin issue

James Whyte whyte.james at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 12:15:39 PDT 2007

I think Dr. Wright forgets that students pay to be at a university and that universities serve them (the customer). This has gone unrecognized in the Turnitin discussion.

  Also, employment agreements are to protect the "for profit" trade" knowledge.

elw at stderr.org wrote:

> did nothing to stop it. The parallel here would be if a school required
> students to accept accept use of TurnItIn - which is a legitimate action
> (consider the requirement to sign a non-compete or non-disclosure
> agreement as a legitimate requirement for employment, or an agreement to
> sign an academic honesty statement) - in order to be part of the student
> body.

These are not nearly parallel.

You're asking students to send their papers to a for-profit company *not
of their own choosing* for assessment. That's radically different from
asking them to sign an academic honesty statement, and certainly different
from the legal mire that is non-compete and non-disclosure agreements.

Schools already provide a legitimate plagiarism detection tool - they're
called "faculty". ;-) [If those faculty don't feel that they're able to
detect plagiarism - well, that's another track of discussion.]

--e

http://www.aoir.org/