[Air-l] turnitin issue

Hugemusic hmusic at ozemail.com.au
Tue Mar 13 19:14:58 PDT 2007

"Dr. Wright forgets that students pay to be at a university and that
universities serve them (the customer). This has gone unrecognized in the
Turnitin discussion."

Waaaitttt a minute!!  This is neo-capitalist crap.  We have been in the grip
of economic rationalism too long at this point!

Students are not "customers" of universities.  Students apply to a
university for the opportunity to demonstrate that they are worthy of an
accreditation that is handed out at the university's discretion.  There are
certain benefits (social, economic, cultural) that (hopefully) accrue with
gaining this accreditation and student must demonstrate that they are worthy
of it. Once upon a time, (in some places) very little tuition fees were paid
except as an extra to improve the students' chances of measuring up.
Certainly, the universities did not require a student to pay them directly;
academic merit (ie the probability of successful accreditation) was the main
criterion for admission.  (Ignoring exclusion because of race, gender, etc
for a minute).

You can't "buy" a university degree, at least not from universities that
matter. The university (often with government oversight) sets the standard
for accreditation. If the student does not measure up, they miss out. They
took their chance and failed. Many former student are in this category.
Some - like me - learn from the experience and try again. If they don't like
the conditions, they can go elsewhere, but they have no access to a degree
for which the university deems them unworthy ... there is no guarantee the
uni will let them try and there's no guarantee the uni will pass them.

The whole problem of plagiarism is that it is cheating on this process;
claiming a level of worthiness that is not your own.  The university is
quite right to take all measures to prevent people who do so from gaining
the accreditation they seek - they are not worthy. The uni is entitled (nay,
required!) to do whatever it takes at that point.  If they pass one
fee-paying student who has not met the standard, they are devaluing the
efforts of all the other fee-paying students who did meet it - which is
better service???

Of course, anyone who's taught at a university for any length of time knows
that ?recent? forces are bringing pressure to change this in favour of the
model described below. But the university is quite entitled to set the
conditions for accredition regardless of fees paid ... there is no customer
service guarantee (at least in theory).

I was wondering about this line this morning and it needs to be addressed.

Cheers,
Hughie