[Air-l] social networking sites ranked by traffic [methods question]

Sam Ladner samladner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 19:10:11 PDT 2007

Hi Paul,

It's interesting that you ask this ... I followed a similar thread on the
Web Analytics listserv in the last few weeks. It's a yahoo group with a
searchable archive of its messages:

Yes, all of these sources were discussed in great detail. Essentially I
believe the consensus came to be that HitWise was the most popular. I have
my doubts of the rigour of the group; many participants are not trained in
social research methods at all and discussions tend to lack any content
around validity or statistical significance. That said, however, you will
find an adequate summary of what private-sector practitioners tend to use
these days.

IMHO, none of these services have adequately solved basic validity problems.
They all claim to be "representative" but they fail to have robust sampling
methods and do not correct for them.