[Air-l] Attribute based web scales

Jennifer Stromer-Galley jstromer at albany.edu
Mon Mar 19 18:43:31 PDT 2007

There's been quite a bit written on interactivity. Below is a selection of
sources that discuss interactivity's conceptual dimensions (Bucy,
Stromer-Galley) and a few that have used scales and measurements of various
sorts (Sundar). Some of McMillan's work for example measures of perceptions of
interactivity (and the difficulties of such). Others offer suggestions of
features that might be present that would suggest interactivity. Foot &
Schneider's book operationalizes interactive features on websites in a
political context.

Best of luck,
~Jenny

Bucy, E. (2004). Interactivity in society: Locating an elusive concept. The
Information Society, 20(5), 373-383.

Foot, K, & Schneider, S. M. (2006). Web campaigning. Cambridge: MIT Press.

Heeter, C. (1989). Implications of new interactive technologies for
conceptualizing communication. In J. L. Salvaggio & J. Bryant (Eds.), Media
use in the information age: Emerging patterns of adoption and computer use
(pp. 217-235). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

McMillan, S. J. (2002a). Exploring models of interactivity from multiple
research traditions: Users, documents, and systems. In L. Lievrouw & S.
Livingstone (Eds.), The handbook of new media (pp. 163-182). Thousand Oaks,
CA: Sage.

McMillan, S. J. (2002b). A four-part model of cyber-interactivity. New Media &
Society, 4, 271-291.

McMillan, S. J., & Hwang, J.-S. (2002). Measures of perceived interactivity:
An exploration of the role of direction of communication, user control, and
time in shaping perceptions of interactivity. Journal of Advertising, 31(3),
29-42.

Stromer-Galley, J. (2000). On-line interaction and why candidates avoid it.
Journal of Communication, 5(4), 111-132.

Stromer-Galley, J. (2004). Interactivity as process and interactivity as
product. The Information Society, 20(5), 391-394.

Stromer-Galley, J., & Foot, K. (2002). Citizens perceptions of online
interactivity and implications for political campaign communication. Journal
of Computer-Mediated Communication, 8(1).

Sundar, S. S. (2004). Theorizing interactivity's effects. The Information
Society, 20(5), 385-389.

Sundar, S. S., Kalyanaraman, S., & Brown, J. (2003). Explicating Web site
interactivity: Impression formation effects in political campaign sites.
Communication Research, 30(1), 30-59.