[Air-l] FW: reasonable security with email interviewing research participants

Sarah Stewart sarahs at tekotago.ac.nz
Mon Mar 19 19:36:31 PDT 2007

Hi Catherine

I am a PhD candidate at the Centre for Online Health at the University of Queensland, but live in New Zealand. I am conducting a study looking at e-mentoring. A colleague Liam Caffery has designed a secure web based email system that I am using for my research which I am finding very useful. He has said he is very happy to talk to you about it.
lcaffery at coh.uq.edu.au

Incidently, we are writing a paper about email security and have analysed email content according to a risk scale. We have come to the conclusion that from a legal point of view, we do not need to have our mentoring system encrypted and could use systems such as hotmail. However, from an ethical point of view we still feel it is important to use an encrypted system.

Thank you, Sarah

Sarah Stewart
PhD Candidate
Senior Lecturer