[Air-l] The internet: a catalyst for consensus or individual thinking?

goldenberg anne goldenberg.anne at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 10:58:50 PDT 2007

Hi everyone,
First I wanted to say that I'm new to the list and I'm very pleased to
see intersting conversations going on here.
(+ I'm french so forgive my english. :) )

I'm myself studying argumentation and legitimation in wikis, as new
form of politicized cognition. I think that what I'm studying is
related to Lucinda's question.
To my idea, the early litterature about "collective
intelligence" (Levy,1994) has focused a lot on collaborative
possibilities in online community. The focus was more on the result
of new possibilities of collective participation, than
on the actual processes.

They might be lots of consensus in some knowledge or practices
communities, but I'm not sure this is the common law.
And I think consensus has to be studied or at least question too:
Why people agree?
Is it because the community is very homogene?
Is it because only one personn knows about the subject ?
Is it because no one else is allowed to tell about the subject ?
Is it because this particular knowledge or pratices is shared by all
those who read it ?
Is it because this not exactly a knowledge but a very formal
information ? (time, place, identification...)

My opinion is that where there is collaboration, theres is a good
chance to find lots of discussion, debate, dispute, that sometimes
result into a "fork" (no more collaboration) or even "wars".

In fact, lots of collaborative devices answered this "need for
discussion" by proposing a division into two parts :
one for collaborative construction (stabilisation), and one for
discussion (argumentation).
In lots of wiki, this would be the page + the discussion page.
I'm also thinking to this little software for synchronised
collaborative edition called Gobby, that looks like an IRC canal, plus
a multi writers (multicolor) text.
Even if live collaboration may alow little time for lond debate, this
channel of discussion is helping also to reach convention, to ask for
help, to clarify a concept...etc.
(note : I've observed the use of this device mainly during meeting of a
community groups, when the debate were occuring mosty face to face)

In conclusion, my point is that collaborative pratices are neither
leading to more individualism nore to more consensus, it's might be
to more debate. My hypothese is that people participating need to get
skilled to act in this debate, and these skills might be not only
technical or rethorical but also deeply in relation with the practice
or the knowledge in question.

thanks,
Anne Goldenberg

Ref: Pierre LEVY, L'intelligence collective. Pour une anthropologie du
cyberspace, Paris, La Découverte, coll. "Science et société", 1994