[Air-l] Origin of the term "Internet" ?

Robert Mason rmmason at u.washington.edu
Sat Mar 31 12:03:10 PDT 2007

Enough probably has been said on this, but I'll add my two cents:

I agree with the latest posting:  "the" Internet (capital I) is the
interconnected network of networks that is (mostly) publicly accessible;
"an" internet is any interconnected network (including intranets) using
IP.

I find the distinction useful in teaching; the vocabulary helps keep
discussions focused.

However, in practice, it may become a lost cause (akin to the growing
use of the word "hopefully" that is ambiguous at best), with "the
internet" having widespread use.

Bob