[Air-l] Origin of the term "Internet"

James Whyte whyte.james at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 31 12:55:24 PDT 2007

First Monday will not allow anything but the cap I species. (factoid)

  I have gone back in the archives for discussions on the definition of the Internet. This is a rich source of information. I would recommend it to anyone.

  There are two school of thought exposed.
  1. the Internet is rigidly defined as "Network of networks bound by the TCP/IP protocols
  2. the above but including all socio/psychological/humanities based activities that are conducted using the above. i.e. a generic application

  I assert, both represent ontological commitments and the resulting sanctioned inferences. Form 1 - represents the cap "I" argument and Form 2 represents the lower case.

  This elaboration has importance because it frames, in a generative way, the nature of scholarship that is considered to be Internet Research and therefor sanctioned.

  In form 1, research is confined to technological domains. If form 2 qualitative approaches are given greater lattitude and sactions appear be less restrictive.

  Combining two threads Wired could be folkloric knowledge and therefor not within scholarly sanctions or domains; as opposes to knowledge derived from elite sources. The same is true of Wikipedia vs Britannica, blogs etc.

  Jeremy asserts that there are many definitions of the "Internet" and I would agree. Each of those definitions form a ontological commitment and each has its scope of acceptable inferences (sanctioned)

  The archives clearly exposes these boundary disputes. Referencing yet a third thread, these boundary disputes are a manifestation of "naturally occuring conflicts." One could argue that the conflicts represent the application of sanctions derived from an ontology.

  In my opinion you were not off topic.

  James

William Bain <willronb at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Hi folks. Just "tuppencely" and hopefully not off topic I note that Wikipedia seems to prefer capitalizing "the Internet" and the noun alone in terms like !"Internet protocols". Somehow I have a feeling the lower case forms will win out in the end, though, as seems often to happen with things like brand names. Very interesting discussion!

Best wishes,

Will

William Bain
PhD Student