[Air-l] Social media in rural communities

James Whyte whyte.james at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 08:47:48 PDT 2007

I grew up in a rural southern US community. I was always different than my red-neck bretheren and made friends with all the kids who were marginal (as was I). One of those friends was a dancer and who later moved on the be a principal dance in the New York Ballet scene. Aside from being talented he was clearly of a different orientation than I. On reflection, I think my friendship with him was important to both of us. It taught me to be tolerant it taught him that all straights were not hatefull.

  Our town never embraced him or me. The word "Queer" makes the hair stand on the back of my neck, as does many epithets of prejudice.

  IMHO the use of such a words, even by those to whom it may apply, serves nothing but darkness.

  My question was innocent, the answers are not satifsying. It is a private problem. Never mind.