[Air-l] web science, or AoIR by any other name

Jankowski nickjan at xs4all.nl
Sun May 6 10:54:22 PDT 2007

Since variations in terms are being suggested, I
would like to suggest another for the list:
e-science. Definitions and illustrations of this
approach can be culled from articles in a JCMC
theme issue on e-science, published earlier this
year, some of which are related to "web science",
"iScience", and internet research. Ralph
Schroeder and I have organized a panel on the
relation between internet research and e-science
for the AoIR conference in Vancouver; details on
the panel will appear in the conference program.

Best,

Nick Jankowski

At 19:09 4-5-2007, you wrote:
>Just to add another term: Internet science ("iScience").
>Please check out the book "Dimensions of Internet
>Science"
>(http://www.psychologie.unizh.ch/sowi/reips/dis/)
>and the iScience server at
>http://psych-iscience.unizh.ch/
>
>As it says on the book site: "Internet Science is
>a new and exciting interdisciplinary field. Its
>purpose is the conduct of empirical studies which
>examine the Internet as both an instrument for,
>and an object of, scientific investigation."
>The instrument aspect and the empirical focus, in
>particular, seem to distinguish the definition
>from those for "Internet research" and "web
>science".
>
>Best wishes --u
>
>At 12:46 Uhr -0400 4.5.2007, Amy S. Bruckman wrote:
> >  > Do folks here see "Web Science" becoming a part of AoIR?
> >
> >We're starting a Web Science initiative in the College of Computing at
> >Georgia Tech.  We interpret the term broadly to mean "the
> >interdisciplinary study of the Web."  (Not just semantic web stuff.)
> >Compared to the kinds of things the AoIR community usually addresses,
> >I would say we're a bit broader because we include more core computer
> >science.  Part of our reason for calling it "web science" instead of
> >"Internet research" is to appeal to the folks coming from the hard side
> >of computer science.
> >
> >One of our goals is to increase communication across disciplines.  For
> >example, we had a great conversation at a faculty meeting yesterday
> >about the "interestingness" algorithm on flickr, and how this might
> >reflect a new view of algorithms that draws together our social
> >computing and theoretical computer science faculty in a new way.  And
> >if we can draw in our economics, public policy, "new media",
> >etc. folks too... then this starts to look interesting!
> >
> >So basically I see "Internet research" and
> "web science" becoming synonyms in
> >the long run.
> >
> >YMMV :-)
> >
> >-- Amy
> >

>--
>PD Dr. Ulf-Dietrich Reips
>
>             Past President, Society for Computers
>in Psychology (http://scip.ws)
>             Editor, International Journal of
>Internet Science (http://www.ijis.net)
>*new address*
>                      Universität Zürich
>             Psychologisches Institut
>             Binzmühlestr. 14/13
>             8050 Zürich, Switzerland
>
>iScience portal (http://psych-iscience.unizh.ch/)

>http://www.aoir.org/

Nicholas W. Jankowski
Visiting Fellow
Virtual Knowledge Studio for the Humanities and Social Sciences
Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences
Cruquiusweg 31
1019 AT Amsterdam, NL
T: +3120 8500470
F: +3120 8500271