[Air-l] we need a better word than lurking

Hugemusic hmusic at ozemail.com.au
Mon May 7 16:51:51 PDT 2007

Does this relate to the techno-uptopian twaddle that passes for news about
New Media?  All the guff about the "new generation" of "produsers" and
similar, which seems to me an uncritical rehash of the kind of propaganda
that eg Rupert Murdoch throws around when Forbes give him an opportunity??
(see http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2007/0507/138.html)

"And people's expectations of media have undergone a revolution. They are no
longer content to be a passive audience; they insist on being participants,
on creating their own material and finding others who will want to read,
listen and watch"

Anyone who's taught New Media knows that "they" are a small minortity of
students and the wider population, but "their" perspective and attributes
domainate much of the tech discourse ... perhaps because of the commercial
opportunity "they" offer Murdoch and others (whoever "they" actually happen
to be).

"Half of all American adults are only occasional users of modern information
gadgetry, while 8% are avid participants in all that digital life has to
offer"  (From Pew's latest report).

This report shows that "they" are not all the same, either ...  Does that
make people who don't demonstrate these participation attributes
"techno-lurkers"??

I think there's something bigger going on here ... WDYR???

Cheers,
Hughie