[Air-l] we need a better word than lurking

Alexis Turner subbies at redheadedstepchild.org
Thu May 10 12:05:21 PDT 2007

As a non-lurker who appreciates the art of lurking precisely because I am so
bad at it (often at my own peril), I would like to reiterate a point that
was made on here a few days back in defense of lurkers.

Lurking on a list is READING, and, by any definition I can possibly think of, is
NOT an inactive process.  Readers are not passive beings.  They are not wasting
their lives indoors when they should be out playing in the fresh air, and I am
surprised that so many academics would imply otherwise.

This is not to say that speaking, debating, and dialogue  are not useful and do
not add to the learning process, as was so well put only a few short posts ago.
But listening, digesting, and ruminating are equally important, and their worth
seems often overlooked in our current era which mistakenly assumes that
"interaction" somehow means "addition."

Perhaps publish or perish has had more negative effects than we would like to
admit - we now seem to prefer useless noise that makes us appear active than
the actual hard work of reflection that bleeds into our lives and works in less
obvious ways - an intelligent conversation with a colleague later on, a good
class session with students, even an eye-opening encounter with the grocery
sacker.  Perhaps we would all do well to be quiet and merely think on an idea
now and then and see how it brings itself forth in other arenas.
-Alexis