[Air-l] [AoIR8] The great badge caper begins...

Richard Smith smith at sfu.ca
Thu May 10 13:45:44 PDT 2007

Dear AIRfolk,

Kris Markman has thrown down the gauntlet and volunteered his dozen
badges to the cause of "greening" the event. So who else is up for
it? As I mentioned, I am contributing my 15 badge holders (why do we
never throw these out?).

Mia Consalvo - gamer that she is - immediately jumped to the idea
that we should have prizes and a contest for the best/most badge
holders. I'll leave that up to your imagination, but if you are game
(ahem), I'll do that, too.

Anyway, if you want to take part, here's what you do:

1. Gather up all your old badges from previous conferences (whatever
style/form you want, you don't have to rinse them out, either)

2. Put them in an envelope and send them to me:

	Richard Smith
	SFU Vancouver
	Suite 3574, 515 West Hastings Street
	Vancouver BC V6B 5K3
	CANADA

3. I will collect them up, sort them, clean them, fix the strings,
and keep track of the truly exceptional contributions (and, if Mia
gets her way, we'll have prizes at the banquet), and ensure that they
are ready for re-use at the conference.

Remember, reuse is the best way to reduce our impact on the environment.

By the way, the "Facebook" group for AoIR8 is getting a lot of
members (well, 39 as of this morning), so join in if you have a face.
Here is the URL:
http://sfu.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2331171313&ref=nf

...r

--
Richard Smith, Associate Professor School of Communication
Simon Fraser University, 515 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, CANADA