[Air-l] where does the term "lurking" come from

Terry Calhoun splendid at umich.edu
Thu May 10 16:53:39 PDT 2007

Among the many lists I manage is the college and university webmasters
list (UWEBD), which now has upwards of 2,500 members. No flame wars,
ever, and lots of good info. But most of the posts are by a (relatively)
small group of a couple hundred posters.

As Barry noted, "lurkers" in the early years may have been the minority.
They are surely in the majority now in the lists that I manage.

Maybe what we need is a term that positively describes the minority of
really active list members and recognizes that most people join and
appreciate but do not post much, if at all.

So, let's call those who post "contributors" and everyone is a "member."
If someone needs to say about themselves what would have been "I just
lurk," they can instead say that "I am not a contributor."

--
Terry Calhoun, MA, JD
Director of Media Relations and Publications