[Air-l] we need a better word than lurking

Christopher Lueg christopher.lueg at utas.edu.au
Thu May 10 21:03:01 PDT 2007

On Thu, 10 May 2007, James Howison wrote:

> So the lurking, and the learning by lurking, is crucial to the
> 'critical mass' of the list.

'Learning by lurking' is why usenet communities used to encourage(!)
'newbies' to lurk for a while before posting as it would help them they
obtain a better understanding of the community, its topics and its
discussion style.

This is why I would argue lurking can be interpreted (to some extent) as
'peripheral participation' in the communities of practice sense.

c.

--
Dr. Christopher Lueg
Professor of Computing