[Air-l] laptops and Internet access in class

Mark D. Johns mjohns at luther.edu
Mon May 21 09:49:29 PDT 2007

T. Kennedy wrote:
> ... not everyone's parents pay for their adult children's education (some
> just can't whereas others won't), which means that many students have to
> work part time (sometimes full time) in order to pay for their schooling.
> No offence Mark - but if I saw this on the syllabus "Someone is investing
> large sums of money in you so that you may attend this college. Therefore,
> maximizing the benefit of this opportunity should be your primary occupation
> during your time here." I would be offended...

As I indicated, other situations differ. The "someone" investing large
sums may indeed be the student themselves. Or it might be the
scholarship fund of the institution. Or possibly some other source. If I
taught across town at the university, I am certain the situation with
working students would be prevalent. Among my students it is not.

I also have a fairly liberal policy for excusing absences, and do so
readily if a student has a work conflict. But just as their employer
would not tolerate them simply not showing up for work, I don't excuse
them when they simply don't show up for class. They contact me in
advance and ask to be excused -- whether working, ill, or whatever --
just as if they had to call in sick at work.

> "my goal is to instill a work ethic that privileges the academic over other
> aspects of college life."
> Sounds Calvinist and strangely Weber like - but what other aspects of
> college life do you think are prominent? Partying?

Lutherans are not Calvinists. It may be Weber-like, but I see nothing
strange about it. Extracurricular groups, musical ensembles, sports
teams, Grey's Anatomy, facebook, Guitar Hero, and yes, for some
students, partying (and I have nothing against the tradition of the
weekend college beer party, by the way).

So are you trying to tell me that your students have none of these
conflicts, but simply divide their time between working hard to pay the
bills and studying? Reality check!

My point, however, is that my situation is not the same as yours. So you
may be as offended as you like by my syllabus language. If I taught on
your campus, wherever it may be, I'd likely do things differently. But
when teaching a privileged clientele at a pricey private college, I find
this works for me.
--
Mark D. Johns, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Head of the