[Air-l] Academic traditions

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu
Tue May 22 06:46:08 PDT 2007

Suzana, thank you for the clarification. I find academic transformations are both
amazingly fast and staggeringly slow depending on the field. My perceptions...

In teaching, the fast part is the rapid changes pushed by new technologies and
expectations of use by (some) incoming students. The laptop in classes
discussion is an example of a push from such students as far as media goes,
but new technologies include far more than just media. We're also pulled to be
up to date with the skills we provide students as they go out to employers. My
perceptions of the latter is that the academic tradition of widening people's view
of the world still very much holds.

For those of us who are involved in online education, the changes
are dramatic and swift, with what one might call a 'revolution' in teaching and
learning practices accompanying e-learning. For many of us this drives
significant changes in our overall teaching practice (there's lots of references on
this, including some of my own :) ). Some of the other recent AoIR discussion
has touched on this topic and there's lots in the online learning/asynchronous
learning/e-learning/collaborative learning/computer-supported collaborative
learning literature on new ways to approach teachiing. Unfortunately, I am
always tremendously surprised to hear vehement anti-online teaching stances I
encounter regularly. Some have no clue about what it really means to teach and/
or learn online, and the change in learning practices the combination of new
media and online teaching bring. My perception is that the real 'revolution' in
online learning is the new way of teaching and learning, not so much that it is
done through new technology.

But teaching is only part of the academic game ... I mean tradition. Tenure holds
a lock on what we do, and the tenure evaluation system is very slow to change. I
have colleagues even now (not at my university) who say an online publication in
an online refereed journal will not 'count' to tenure for them. The online/offline
nature of this will, I believe, change, but the reputation system associated with
publication venues will not. Everyday we make a judgement of where to send
papers for publication. In shifting traditions -- where online gets more
exposure, but offline/reputation gets you tenure -- the decision is not
straightforward.

You asked originally "What is it in shifting traditions that affects you as an
academic in your daily work?" For me, the changes are bringing online education
approaches to teaching in general, and making balancing decisions about where
and how I disseminate my work and ideas.

/Caroline