[Air-l] Technology Transforming Education--EE-Learning

Marj Kibby Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
Tue May 22 21:21:02 PDT 2007

Not quite sure how I came to be the champion of the face to face
classroom - my argument is simply that all teaching/learning methods
will have advantages and disadvantages for some.

EE-Learning is probable closest to my current teaching method - web
facilitated Problem Based Learning.

I used to get virtual guest lecturers to participate in online
discussions, which the students enjoyed - though some argued that I
simply played the roles of the various authors of their set readings.

Marj

Dr Marjorie Kibby,
Senior Lecturer in Communication & Culture
Faculty of Education and Arts
The University of Newcastle,  Callaghan NSW 2308 Australia
Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
+61 2 49216604

>>> "Dr. Steve Eskow" <drseskow at cox.net> 23/05/2007 2:09 pm >>>
Are you open to discussing and negotiating trade-offs, Marj?

I'd ike to study with you. Coming to Australia at this time in my life
is,
however, quite out of the question. I have an infant son I must care
for,
and a job that I need to keep for a number of reasons, some obvious.

And: if I can study with you and remain in California there may be
some
advantages for you and for your college and for your students in
Australia.
For one, I can act as a placement officer for Australian students who
might
want to come to the States for a period of study.

In any event, what I'm wondering is whether you're open to trading off
the
advantage that you see in the face-to-face setting to allow all of us
who
can't get to Australia to learn--or if your unalterable commitment,
the
beginning and end of the innovation, is the face-to-face classroom. In
Australia.

Cheers, Marj.

Steve Eskow

(I don't really have an infant son. I do have an infant grandson.)