[Air-l] laptops and Internet access in class

Ted M Coopman coopman at u.washington.edu
Fri May 18 11:27:03 PDT 2007

All,

I recently was part of a team of TAs for a large (450+) lecture course. If you have the numbers you can scatter to police obsessive myspace cruising but we found that that other technology (iPods and cells) and old issues like talking were at least (if not more) as big a problem. The problem, I think, is large lecture courses and long lectures.

I don't think that shutting down wifi is a good option. It really is a losing battle. In fact, playing the cop takes the fun out of teaching. IMO these types of technologies show up the problems with our largely 19th century industrial mass production educational techniques. Research indicates that orally downloading information on students is the most ineffective method of teaching.

I used to obsess with the importance of course designs that made participation a major factor in grading. Now I tell my students not to come to class if they don't want to be there. They are adults, let them make the choice. Sure it will hurt them, but why burden everyone else with distractions and poor attitudes? I limit myself to 10 slides to frame discussion and activities. This makes web surfing and general noodling less of an option.

I have heard of large courses that use clickers (on the fly polls and quizzes), podcasting, back channel chat and other techniques to engage students. This is much better use of time and effort that trying to "make" students to pay attention, sit quietly, and take notes. Esp. since sometimes (as with our program) these large intro classes are currently the only viable option.

-TED

Ted M. Coopman
Department of Communication
University of Washington