[Air-l] Research question: interviewing online subjects?

Monica Barratt monica.barratt at postgrad.curtin.edu.au
Sat May 19 23:49:48 PDT 2007

This is a question I have also been considering over the last few
weeks, prior to beginning my online interviews which should happen
over the next month.

Paul has stated this very well. For me, in researching activities
relating to illicit drugs, I must make sure that participants under
that:
- what they tell me is confidential
- the exception to this is if they disclose a serious and imminent
threat to harm themselves or others
- they are free to choose not to answer any particular questions.

 So the participant, if they were (for example) running a drug
trafficking operation, can choose not to inform me of this, and surely
wouldn't suddenly tell me such details! When we do ask questions about
crime, we always have a preamble which stresses that we are not in any
way interested in details, just general frequency levels of types of
crime. This way we do not end up with the sort of information that
would require us to breach confidentiality.

Research materials in Australia are subject to legal subpoena; we
can't apply for protection from this as I believe can be done in the
USA.

The issue I am faced with is that my consent form for online
interviewing of drug users does not contain an exception clause at
this point (and was passed by my ethics committee). My supervisor and
I have been discussing including this exception clause. However we did
both ask ourselves, what would we do if such information came out in
an online interview, where we don't have concrete details of the
person's identity? If they told me they were going to commit suicide
and I wanted to inform someone to help them, how would I do this? I
could certainly direct them to resources (online and face-to-face) but
none of this breaks confidentiality.

However we did conceive of situations where the confidentiality
exception clause is necessary in the case where the participant
disclosed details of their identity and a serious/imminent threat to
themselves or others. We would then have enough information to get
help for them. And they would be aware from the start that this would
be the outcome should they disclose this sort of information.

I agree that this should only be in regards to illegal (rather than
'immoral') acts. I also think it would be a bit strange to have this
clause in all types of research - however, although it may seem
unlikely, you just never know when you might find yourself in this
ethically tricky situation. Best that participants know exactly where
they stand from the outset.

Let us know what you decide to do Erika!

regards
monica

Monica Barratt
PhD Student