[Air-l] laptops and Internet access in class

Bonnie Nardi nardi at ics.uci.edu
Mon May 21 07:40:26 PDT 2007

I have not done any research on laptops in classrooms but I have had
two undergraduate student groups study this topic.

They have found that students lose track of what is being said in
lecture when they get involved in interactions with friends on IM or
they play games or do homework for other classes. These are not
activities that lend themselves to keeping an ear open for the
important bits of the lecture.

The students also reported that 50% of the students said they would not
bring a laptop to class if there were no wireless access. This wireless
access is for games, etc. not looking up what the professor is talking
about.

An important issue I have not heard mentioned is that the presence of
other activities in the classroom --  activities that require attention
and separate the student from the classroom -- changes the culture of
the classroom as a whole. Students are not engaged with each other in
the same way. They are no longer a "body" of students but individuals
selecting their own activities, virtually leaving the classroom. It's a
subtle but pervasive effect.

Students who need help with English can make a special arrangement to
text a friend or they can bring unobtrusive dictionary devices (one of
my students has one).

See also Gay and Hembrooke's Activity-Centered Design. There's a good
chapter on wireless in the classroom there.

--

Bonnie