[Air-l] laptops and Internet access in class

Mark D. Johns mjohns at luther.edu
Mon May 21 11:14:37 PDT 2007

Dr. Steve Eskow wrote:
> Suppose, for example, our students could actually be scattered in space and
> time, engaged in work or service anywhere in the community, the nation, the
> world, and the "learning community" is online--lectures online, if they are
> needed, discussion online, collaboration online, libraries online?...

I think you are describing the University of Phoenix.

It's an interesting experiment, and it may be the paradigm of the
future. But my contract for fall makes it pretty clear I have to show up
in the appointed classroom at the appointed time if I wish to collect my
paycheck. And for the moment, the vast majority of workers in the world
are likewise still punching clocks in one way or another.

> Bourdieu calls the university ideal "the scholastic enclosure," a way of
> insulating students and teachers from the world for which they are nomially
> preparing.
>
> It used to be called "the ivory tower."

To the extent we allow students to make up their own rules about
participation and regard it (in the words of a popular comic strip in
this morning's newspaper) as, "basically four years of fully-funded,
unsupervised, independent living," I suspect most working folks would
still consider it pretty insulted and most definitely "ivory."
--
Mark D. Johns, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Head of the