[Air-l] Technology Transforming Education

Steve Jones sjones at info.comm.uic.edu
Tue May 22 16:16:48 PDT 2007

<nostalgia>That takes me back to my UIUC days, and PLATO...Programmed
Logic for Automated Teaching Operations.</nostalgia>

(That probably gives away my age as much as admitting I have a
"record collection.")

These are the kinds of discussions in which I wish we could engage
many U.S. faculty and administrators. One of the things I'm seeing on
a lot of campuses the last couple of years is excitement among
administrators about "blended" learning because it promises to free
up classroom space, which ties into two important administrative
matters, namely an interest in increasing enrollment as a means of
increasing revenue, and an interest in keeping a lid on construction
costs (or, in some cases, the cost of leased space). I agree that
those are important matters, but I disagree that they are sufficient
reasons to "re-design" teaching (though maybe in really dire
circumstances, along the lines, say, of what happened in New Orleans
and along the Gulf Coast due to Hurricane Katrina, it would be
justifiable as a temporary solution to buildings that must be
rehabbed and are unusable in the meantime).

Just out of curiosity, how many of us are at a campus that has what
we would consider a good complement of technology in all classrooms?

Back to the matter at hand, I'm in favor of alternative learning
methods, ones that do not necessarily rely on the "traditional"
classroom style, and I am willing to give them (and have given some
of them) a try. What support is going to be provided to faculty and
to students when using various technologies for learning? In large
part when I say "support" I mean technical support, but I also mean
other kinds. Will our students themselves have access to sufficient
technologies that we may require them to use? Are there faculty
incentives or disincentives to use technology and/or to use
alternative teaching methods? Out of what part of the budget is this
support to be paid for? So far as I'm concerned there are larger
"infrastructure" issues than just technical ones (not that those are
often not daunting enough) at most U.S. institutions of higher
education that must be managed before we can move very far ahead
(beyond case studies, most of which are at the individual level, some
of which are at the department level, and precious few are at the
college level, never mind the level of an entire university) with
learning technologies .

Sj