[Air-l] Technology Transforming Education--EE-Learning

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Wed May 23 06:49:30 PDT 2007

Charles:

Great to hear you are doing well and your insights and wording are excellent as usual. One technical caveat though, when acting in my capacity as a motion picture producer/director, I have been routinely blending mixes of singers and voices from multiple locations with the assistance of computer editing technology like Avid and Final Pro and utilizing specialized phone lines and conference calls to speak to the singers or actors or both. I actually began using this around 1996 with video and earlier than that when I produced and hosted a radio show for multiple locations. Many, if not most, of the sound recording for music or films, often take place with musicians in one location, lead vocalists in another location and background singers who may come in later into the studio or from another location. The editing and recording technology is so clean now that only a trained musician/artist/conductor/editor/producer/sound engineer can notice the differences and it is now a legitimate argument among audiophiles. The entire phenomenon of homogeneous radio that has occurred due to media consolidation during the late 80's and 90's has actually developed these technologies to the point where radio hosts may live in one location but syndicate nationally simultaneously or in different time zones live with hosts in different cities. I am not sure that most educators realize how advanced these technologies are now and how much better they will become if embraced by academia. The natural partnership of entertainment and media is coming and has real potential if the media people don't try to pimp it like they have done with publishing and the universities really listen, adopt and adapt the media for educational purposes. Another unintended consequence of media consolidation is that there are and will be a wealth of media talent available for institutions of higher learning who already develop future professionals in the fields of media and technology.

Chris