[Air-l] Grants

James Whyte whyte.james at yahoo.com
Sun May 6 16:24:07 PDT 2007

Randy,

  I have no filters set and what I reported is not one, but the last 10 weeks. While today's was the worst, the others have been a poor showing. I know that one swallow doesn't make a summer.

  IMHO an examination off the last year in all categories would affirm my point.

  If you have better information, I'm interested in seeing it.

  Regards,

  James

luver, Randy" <rkluver at ipomail.tamu.edu> wrote:
  I don't think you can make that kind of conclusion based on one limited
point of data. I too receive Grants.gov postings, but the messages to me
are filtered according to the criteria that I have specified when I
signed up. Sometimes I get one or two a week, sometimes not. Federal
agencies operate on cycles, and there are some periods of time that are
just busier than others. For a better sense on the state of federal
funding, you could consult the NSF statistics:
http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf07303/pdf/nsf07303.pdf.

According to this, in 2005-2006, funding for all categories increased by
3% than the previous year, and in 2006-2007, it increased by 1.2%. The
proposed amount for this year is over 136 billion dollars. Of course,
some money is shifted from one category to another. The biggest hits
were in Agriculture and transportation, the biggest growth category was
regional and community development, with an increase of 22% in 05-06 and
23% in 06-07. That actually seems to me that it would be one category
of federal funding relevant to this particular community.

Thus, I think both of your conclusions are wrong; federal funding has
not disappeared, and funding that affects this community is certainly
not non-existent. I don't have any data on private sources of funding.

Randy Kluver, Ph.D.
Director, Institute for Pacific Asia
Texas A&M University
204 Coke 3371 TAMU