[Air-l] we need a better word than lurking

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Mon May 7 19:23:22 PDT 2007

to which Kevin Guidry wrote:

>    I'd like to hear more about this decision.  I find it difficult to
>describe those who do not, well, participate as participants.  I
>assume your definition of participation is different from mine.

My word choice was influenced by the likes of Goffman, with his
concept of participation frameworks of interactions, and Bakhtin,
with his conceptions of the anticipated/assumed audience, rather than
celebratory notions of Web2 every-one-is-a-creator rhetoric. Both
theorists note that speakers are situated in contexts that include
varied kinds of listeners who are addressed, excluded, and tolerated
to varying degrees and who have varying degrees of visibility.
Goffman, for instance, talks of bystanders and eavesdroppers in
addition to addressees. If I am at a large party, and talking to two
people standing right in front of me, with whom I am making
intermittent eye contact and toward whom I am orienting my body, they
are my obvious addressees, but chances are that I am choosing what I
say with an awareness that there are others in the environment who
may hear this.

The bystanders are visible at the party, but not on the internet, but
that doesn't mean their influence disappears. Furthermore, in the
context of the internet, posters are often not only aware of an
audience that may never post, they often formulate their messages
assuming the readership of people who will remain silent. In many
cases they would not contribute except for that assumption, and in
most all cases, they formulate their messages with a sense (whether
accurate or not) of who those people are in mind. For example, when
people post queries to this list, it is not just to receive responses
from the limited number of subscribers who post, it is also to
receive responses from readers who may never have posted before but
who are assumed to be there with expertise not yet known. Indeed,
such people often emerge in responses to such queries. If bloggers
blogged only for the people who comment on their posts, most would
give up in despair. Instead they either assume a readership or they
deduce its presence from the traces left from feedreader subscriber
counts, hit rates, and so on. Such people may also make themselves
known in "backstage" venues (to borrow another notion from Goffman),
sending emails behind the scenes.

Silent readers are also increasingly important in the online economy
as their presence may generate ad revenue for the sites they visit
thereby fiscally supporting their continued existence. In the
contexts of online fan communities (about which I was writing today),
their reading of groups may be connected to purchasing the product
being discussed and they may therefore be playing essential roles in
keeping the object of fandom commercially viable or at least afloat.

My point is that online interaction does not occur in spite of the
"lurkers," it often happens because of and in anticipation of their
assumed presence (in addition of course to the presence of those
who've made themselves visible). Their presence is integral to the
creation of the communication. If they really were not there, much
online communication in public forums would either cease or be cut
back dramatically. That is why I consider their action of visiting
sites to be a form of participation, even when they do not make it
visible through explicit contributions.

I used the word lurker for years, and I still use it, but I think it
fails to capture the fact that their/our presence shapes the
formation of online messages.

Nancy

--
Nancy Baym	http://www.ku.edu/home/nbaym
Communication Studies, University of Kansas