[Air-l] "lurking"

James Whyte whyte.james at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 11:01:08 PDT 2007

The greater implication of this thread is about "labeling" and the inherent potential for negative impact.

  IMHO, labeling is neither scholarly or useful.

  Howard Becker, in the book "Outsiders" clearly spells out the impact that this variety of stereotypeing has particular  impact on social research.

  Patricia Lange refers to these labels as DOXA i.e categories that are assumed to be true by both scholarly and non-scholarly communities (I paraphrase).

  Elijah asked what was my problem with trolls. I have none, but I do have problems with the host of jagonistics label of the Internet. Besides, it seems that trolls are often the spice in the soup.

  As John Kennedy once said, "If you only listen to people that agree with you, all you hear is your own voice."

  James

  James