[Air-l] Website/weblog word counts

Aristides Emmanuel Pereira aristides_pereira at msn.com
Wed May 16 06:52:08 PDT 2007

Helo David,

I am not sure but I think most actual qualitative research tools do not
support the HTML format yet. A solution would be copying and pasting the
files you want to an simple TXT or RTF file and then word counting them with
specific software.

I also research Blogs and recently I have been using TAMS Analyzer for Mac
to do my analysis and I have been following the same process cited above. In
my research I do not count words (specially because I work with Japanese and
counting words and kanjis - ideograms - is not a very precise method) but I
do count the frequency of posts, the presence of comments and the use of
other media formats like photos, video and audio. Within this setting I can
affirm the number of posts in many cases goes steadily or tends to increase
over time - one of the observed blogs has the average of over five hundred
posts a month!!

Wish you luck in your study.

My regards,

Aristides Emmanuel Pereira, M.A. Int. Cultural Studies
PhD Candidate
Department of Multi-Cultural Societies
Graduate School of International Cultural Studies
Tohoku University
Kawauchi, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi
980-8576 JAPAN
www.bleepsblops.com