[Air-l] laptops and Internet access in class

Dr. Steve Eskow drseskow at cox.net
Mon May 21 22:20:34 PDT 2007

What is happening here may be making genuine intellectual disagreement
difficult by insisting that all such encounters are "trolling."

If the paragraph Dr. Johns cites is in any sense trolling, I'll apologize.
It seems like a piece of a position to me.

The new communication technologies--the technologies with which this list is
concerned--suggest a rethinking of the foundations of the college and the
university.

The "campus" and the "classroom" as the spatial and temporal shapers of
instruction need to be made visible for the role they play in defining
learning.

The passive and active resistance of undergraduate students to what goes on
in the lecture hall and classroom needs, I believe, to be discussed openly.
The correlative practices of compulsory attendance via grading systems, and
their impact on genuine learning, and the possibilities for other ways seem
like important topics.

So, again: there is this possibility:

The campus and the lecture hall and the classroom as containers of learning,
and the instructional practices to which they have led, are ancient
technologies.They are the "commonsense" of current higher education, and
often invisible to those who use them.

In 1841 Carlyle predicted the transformation of the university by the new
technologies of mass printing which he felt would make the physical
apparatus of the medieval university unnecessary. He was wrong. So was
Edison, who predicted that the motion picture would undo the university. And
the university form, the university organizing technologies have
successrully reisted the telegraph, and radio and television.

The new ICT may similarly be absorbed within the present technological
framework of buildings and curriculum and syllabi.

There is some countervailing evidence, in the form of the spread of open
universities in the world that use communication technologies to instruct
hundreds of thousands of students.

And the distance learning movement is flourishiing in the US.

There is much talk now of "blended learning": bringing together the
traditional classroom and the instructional abilities of the new
technologies. There is growing evidence that the old and the new
technologies often do not blend well, and that when students are given the
opportunity they desert the old forms for the new.

Sunday's New York Times featured an articles of the inability of Africa's
brick-and-mortar universities to cope with Africa's needs for tertiary
education.

If there is not enough brick and mortar in the world to build the
universities Africa needs, how can the technologies we are concerned with
here be mobilized to help?

Steve Eskow