[Air-l] Unusual request - Meeting around Internet Research 8.0

Jan Schmidt aoir at schmidtmitdete.de
Wed May 23 02:04:00 PDT 2007

Dear all,

this might be a somewhat unusual mail/request, but I thought I'd give it
a try:

I'm a PostDoc researcher from Bamberg (Germany), focussing on social
software / Web 2.0 from the perspective of communication sociology. Most
of my contributions are in german (having an fairly sized academic
community which is closed due to the language can be both a curse and a
blessing.. ;-)), but I have also a couple of english ressources which
describe my activities compiled on my blog
(http://www.bamberg-gewinnt.de/wordpress/english-content/). Some of you
might know me as the co-organizer (with Thomas N. Burg from Austria) of
the "BlogTalk reloaded" conference in Vienna last fall (of which, by the
way, the proceedings have now been published; see the above link).

I'm planning to attend the Internet Research 8.0 conference this october
(actually my first AOIR-conference; I'm really looking forward to it),
and will make my travel arrangements (i.e. booking a flight) within the
next weeks. Since Vancouver is quite a distance from Germany, I'm going
to spend not only the conference week, but some more time in the area.
I was wondering (and that's the point of this mail) if anyone with
similar research fields would be interested in meeting in the week
before or after the conference. More precisely, I'm planning to travel
(by rental car) around the Pacific northwest (British Columbia,
Washington State, Oregon, maybe even Northern California) for about two
to three weeks around the conference. I'd be more than happy to arrange
my trip accordingly to come to your university or organization, either
for an informal exchange of ideas, or for a guest lecture, or for any
other cool events that might come to your mind. :)
Based on my research interests, I could (for example) talk about the
state of Web 2.0 & Social Software in Germany / the german speaking
countries; about results from my (then finished) current research
project on online-based networking (which focussed mainly on Blogs and
Social Networking Sites), or on similar topics (suggestions are of
course open to modification/specification). This might even lead to
interesting research initiatives - I find there is a lack of thorough
internationally comparative studies in this field.

Feel free to contact me (off-list) for any suggestions or questions -
I'm looking forward to seeing where this request will take me... :-)

Best, Jan

--
Dr. Jan Schmidt
Research Centre "New Communication Media"

+49 (951) 863 2213 +49 (177) 520 5199
jan.schmidt at split.uni-bamberg.de
http://www.fonk-bamberg.de/
http://www.bamberg-gewinnt.de/wordpress [including english content]