[Air-l] Technology Transforming Education--EE-Learning

William Bain willronb at yahoo.com
Sat May 26 01:07:05 PDT 2007

All,

  I wanted to comment on two or three things that have come out of this thread. First, on typography and using special effects on th listserve, this occurred to me, too, the othr day, as I observed a friend using different colors and fonts to send an e-mail. I'm trying it here, tho I suppose (hasty supposition?) that this will just come out on screen as regular black typeface. My question, however, is whether or not this list (with aoir permision) would be interested in using such special faces. It would, obviously, change the tenor of the discussions (I think). This leads to a second point: would there be interest in either exploring thes ideas of fonts, etc. offlist or in a group like the last.fm one Nancy Baym mentions (or in that same group, if I may be so presumptuous)? Does new.typeface conflate with last.fm? Finally, it seems to me that (following the lead of others who have meintioned similar things) the history of printing with its illuminated manuscripts, novels
 with engravings, illustrated mags, et6c., confirms that we're living in the virtual evolution of a process. ut pictura poesis & all that.

  Cheers,

  Will

William Bain
PhD Student