[Air-l] Technology Transforming Education--EE-Learning

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Sat May 26 04:57:48 PDT 2007

On May 26, 2007, at 4:07 AM, William Bain wrote:

> All,
>
>   I wanted to comment on two or three things that have come out of
> this thread. First, on typography and using special effects on th
> listserve, this occurred to me, too, the othr day, as I observed a
> friend using different colors and fonts to send an e-mail. I'm
> trying it here, tho I suppose (hasty supposition?) that this will
> just come out on screen as regular black typeface. My question,
> however, is whether or not this list (with aoir permision) would be
> interested in using such special faces.

no.  html email is an act that shows a certain lack of consideration
for the audiences of the list.  if you want to do html fonts and
colors, make a webpage and send us a url.   the problem with html
email is that it excludes those who do not use clients that support
it, it is a medium for malware, and in the end, it is email bloat.
other points about html email can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/thduggie/ascii/asciitxt.txt

jeremy hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(www.cipr.uwm.edu)

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://www.aoir.org The Association of Internet Researchers
http://www.stswiki.org/ stswiki
http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/  LI-the journal