[Air-l] "listserve"

Dominic Pinto zorro at btinternet.com
Tue May 29 07:53:30 PDT 2007

--- Ellis Godard <egodard at csun.edu> wrote:

> I may have asked this before (I know I've at least
> raised the issue
> elsewhere, perhaps not here), but anyone how or when
> mailing lists became
> "listserves"? The etymological origin is probably
> ListServ (with MajorDomo,
> one of the leading mailing list software programs)
> and "list server", that
> beast which manages mailing lists. Was the adoption
> vague and gradual, or is
> there someone to whom blame (credit?) can be pinned?

see:
http://www.lsoft.com/corporate/ericthomas.asp
http://www.lsoft.com/products/listserv-history.asp
http://www.livinginternet.com/l/lli.htm
http://www.ibiblio.org/usenet-i/groups-html/bit.listserv.history.html

One Eric Thomas of CERN is said to have devised the
real Listserv in 1986, originally called Revised
Listserv.

Dominic Pinto
http://www.ecademy.com/user/dominicpinto
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dominicpinto

Live or work in, or visit Covent Garden and Westminster?
Check out http://www.westmin.co.uk/index.php

e-m: dominic.pinto at ieee.org
Skype: zorrodp
M: +44 780 302-8268