[Air-l] we need a better word than lurking

jerichob at juno.com jerichob at juno.com
Thu May 10 09:46:11 PDT 2007

I like the concept of grazing, as well - as I said in my earlier post,
I'm too used to the word "lurk" in its non-Internet usage to a)
consider myself to be doing that, when I am not posting to lists, and
b) consider others whose existence I am basically unaware of to be
doing that.

I am just curious:  for those who consider "lurking" to be problematic
or undesirable - is it problematic for the lurkers (who, as John
Veitch point out, may be missing a learning opportunity), or for the
lurkees - the people on the lists who do participate regularly?  And
if the latter, why?  I haven't done much - well, any - reading in this
area, so I don't know what the arguments could be, though I can
speculate.  Indeed, for some types of lists, I can see lack of
participation becoming a problem.  My department's graduate student
list, during the seven years I've been there, has gone from a place
where we used to discuss intellectual topics relevant to our field as
well as departmental policies and politics, to a place where people
announce parties and free food opportunities.  Which are important,
too, but the silence on other topics is deafening to the few of us who
are still around from the "old days."  It's definitely a symptom of a
bigger change in the community.

But in academic or professional lists where there remain a number of
active participants on a variety of topics, the lurker load doesn't
seem to be problematic (unless it's a question of maintenance or
something). Unless it just bothers people who don't know who is
reading their posts, or there is a concern that the list may stagnate.

This thread was introduced because someone didn't think lurking should
be considered a bad thing, and thus should have a label with less
negative connotations, but in the discussion some fairly strong
normative judgments about lurkers and lurking have emerged which seem
to indicate that having a word with negative connotations is
warranted.  It's interesting.

Jericho

-- "Martin Garthwaite" <marting at gmail.com> wrote:
Lurking has negative connotations, so I dislike it as a term also, I
have
always thought of this activity as "grazing", implies a non malicious
activity of consuming what is freely available, as and when suits the
grazer
and fits in very neatly with the concept of the commons. I picked up
the
concept of grazing from Lessig.