[Air-l] Research question: interviewing online subjects?

Erika Pearson erika.pearson at stonebow.otago.ac.nz
Thu May 17 18:23:35 PDT 2007

Hello all

I've been reading the general sociology literature on conducting
interviews as part of a research project, and some of the literature
I have come across makes a point of noting that interviewers should
be warning interviewees that any illegal or immoral behaviours
uncovered during the course of the research/interview may be reported
(for example, Adler and Adler, 2003).

My questions in regards to this are:
1)  Are those who have or are conducting online interviews or even
interviews about internet issues making a point of such cautions? ( I
suspect the two approaches have two separate answers).  What are
others' experiences of this as practice?

2)  If so, what is the benchmark for classifying acceptable and
unacceptable behaviours? (i.e.: the laws and norms of the
interviewers context?  Those of the physical jurisdiction of the
interviewee, if known?  The norms of the virtual group, network, or
community under study?)

I browsed through the AoIR Ethics Committee document on Internet
research, and (as I read it) there seemed to be an implication that
the physical jurisdiction of the research subject was the prime
candidate for setting a legal or ethical standard more generally in
regards to proper treatment of research subjects, but that was just
my sense on a first reading.  I would be very interested to hear the
thoughts and experiences of others on this matter.  I admit, as I was
reading this, my first thought was 'who would I report it to anyway!'

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

with thanks
erika

  ~~
Erika Pearson