[Air-l] Digg user 'riot' going on now

Christine Moellenberndt chris at inreach.com
Wed May 2 09:01:02 PDT 2007

Actually, the big reason why everyone threw a fit was because of a
perceived preference given to sponsorship.  The last Digg podcast was
sponsored by HD-DVD, and so when the encryption code stories started
springing up and getting deleted, the community assumed it was due to
pressure from their sponsor and the threat of losing money.

This is a HUGE thing for online communities in my experience... the
threat of your favourite site selling out not only their morals, but you
in the process.  I think that's a big reason why we saw the reaction
from Digg'ers that we saw last  night and today.

Interesting stuff!

While Digg has pulled an about-face, I'll be interested to see what the
fallout is from this, and if Digg will have the trust of its users back
after this blows over.  As with a lot of things, it's more about the
perception of the action by the community, not the actual reasoning
behind it no matter how many blog posts the Digg crew makes.

btw, hi everyone.. somewhat-long-time listener, first time caller. Grad
student in anthro hoping to study identity in online communities.
Needless to say, that's why this issue fascinates me so!

-Christine