[Air-l] Can User Centred Design be Harmful?

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Mon May 7 05:39:13 PDT 2007

Well there are many issues of understanding here.  Fundamentally, I
think we have real issues with the difference between the commercial
constructions of subjectivity and the family and community, political
constructions of subjectivity.  Those constructions are what yield
the tensions between the collectivity and individuality and are
arguments usually constructed in terms of the relationship between
the nature of humanity (homo ludens, homo economicus, homo politicus,
etc. etc.) and the culture of humanity  (homo ludens, homo
economicus, homo politicus, etc. etc.)  (heh).   There is an ideology
of computing and computer interfaces, but I think the conception of
instrumentality, that of 'user' is also an issue.