[Air-l] we need a better word than lurking

Kurt Luther luther at cc.gatech.edu
Mon May 7 15:59:48 PDT 2007

A few relevant readings on the topic, mostly echoing Barry's observations:

Blair Nonnecke and Jenny Preece describe lurker practices and discuss
some of the problems with defining "lurker." "It is unfortunate that the
term lurker, with all its negative conntation, has gained
acceptance...Rather than being free-riders, lurkers should be called
participants..."
http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/332040.332409

Brad Horowitz gives his theory of the relationship between what he calls
creators, synthesizers, and producers. "...we don’t need to convert 100%
of the audience into 'active' participants to have a thriving product
that benefits tens of millions of users. In fact, there are many reasons
why you wouldn’t want to do this. The hurdles that users cross as they
transition from lurkers to synthesizers to creators are also filters
that can eliminate noise from signal. "
http://www.elatable.com/blog/?p=5

Kurt