[Air-l] we need a better word than lurking

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Tue May 8 00:55:04 PDT 2007

I just want to add a couple of incomplete thoughts. I advocate and
study "participatory democracy" via green party activism, grassroots
organising ( any poly scientists here?) The green party was I believe
and we claim the first Canadian party on-line.

also in academic terms I have recently completed a number of courses
where either usenet or other on-line participation allowed me a
better grade by my being an internet junkie. I know some feel that
active participation is full of half baked ideas and unfounded
statements but I argue that this is only a piece in an active
learning process. And why the teacher must also participate with
guidance as too good scholarship.

I sure that when school requires doing "group work" in the social
sciences, that the convergence of work place software for group work
with school work results in productivity. Perhaps lurkers would
differ in opinion but I agree in the union sense of undemocratic
these are free riders.

Peter Timusk,
B.Math statistics (2002), B.A. legal studies (2006) Carleton University
Systems Science Graduate student, University of Ottawa (2006-2008).
just trying to stay linear.
Read by hundreds of lurkers every week.