[Air-l] indie music scenes + internet

Andrew Whelan amj.whelan at gmail.com
Thu May 10 03:09:56 PDT 2007

Hi Holly, all,
the following might be useful:

Caspary, Costa, and Wolfram Manzenreiter. 2003. "From subculture to
cyberculture? The Japanese Noise alliance and the Internet." Pp. 60-74
in Japanese Cybercultures, edited by Nanette Gottlieb and Mark
McLelland. London: Routledge.
Williams, J. Patrick. 2006. "Authentic Identities: Straightedge
Subculture, Music, and the Internet." Journal of Contemporary
Ethnography, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 173-200.

Also, Widerstand records (http://widerstand.org/) recently released a
half-hour documentary, 'Notes on Breakcore', currently circulating as
a torrent. In this documentary a number of breakcore producers and DJs
discuss the reconstitution of the 'scene' by the internet and the role
online plays offline, as it were. Hope this helps.
Best,
Andrew