[Air-l] "lurking"

Alexander Semenov semenoffalex at googlemail.com
Fri May 11 09:44:52 PDT 2007

Actually, I've totally missed the plot of the great taxonomic discussion
about lurkers and so on, but reading an article about online focus group
I've revealed the following passage:
"The existence of ‘lurkers’ may lead to
group fading, as some active participants may be disheartened to continue
with the
discussion when they fail to get any feedback, verbal or non-verbal, from
others."
(Cher Ping, Lim and Seng Chee, Tan Online discussion boards for focus
group interviews: an exploratory study. Journal of Educational Enquiry,
Vol. 2, No. 1, 2001).
Actually this part devoted only to online focus groups, but, however...
Before that (I mean listserv's discussion and article) I had nothing
against lurkers, as I'm usually one of them.
But now, I remembered why different online communities "die" and I think,
that one of the reasons is a lack of feedback
 from potential audience. Especially at "start up" period. For example, I
used to prepare electronic versions of texts for seminars in LJ community
of my group,posted useful links, tried to start some discussions and so
on. But without decent response (an even simple "thanks!")I ceased my
attempts. Not every person can fuel his activity with a pure enthusiasm
after all.
So, my point is that "lurking" indeed has negative effects especially in
the "new born" communities. In old, established virtual communities with
thousands of participants, local "centralities" and celebrities and so on
lurkers are quite normal, usual and absolutely not dangerous or irritating
part of "audience".
Sorry, I really don't have time to read through all the discussion about
lurkers, so, I'm pretty sure, that someone have already told smth like
this.
Best wishes,
Alexander Semenov.