[Air-l] "lurking"

Åsa Rosenberg asa.rosenberg at sociology.gu.se
Fri May 11 14:27:14 PDT 2007

I think what Becker underlines in Outsiders is that we are all moral
entrepreneurs, and the question then becomes wether we want to enforce
or challenge the connotations of the word "lurker", or the social rules
that enforce that label. I wouldn´t say though that creating a (nicer
sounding) academic synonym would necessarily be a "challenge" in itself.
The challenge would be studying how lurkers become lurkers in social
interaction. Or how lurkers become silent participants on researchers
mailing lists. ;)

"The deviant [lurker] is one to whom that label has sucessfully been
applied; deviant [lurker] behavior is behavior that people so label"
(p.9)

-Åsa