[Air-l] research on factors driving traffic to web sites

Jim Jansen jjansen at ist.psu.edu
Tue May 15 07:01:26 PDT 2007

Cristian,

The number one factor, far out weighing any other, is --- where the Website is ranked in response to a given query by the major search engines (i.e., Google, Yahoo!, MSN, and ASK).

With 60% to 80% of searchers never going beyond the first page or so (Jansen & Spink, 2005), a Website being in the top ten is critical to all types of Website traffic.  Directly related to this is -- whether or not the Website has a sponsored link off the front page of the major search engines.

More than 70% of people use search engines as the entry point to the Web (Nielsen Media, 2006) using search engines even for links that they already know.

See:
Jansen, B.J., & Spink, A. (2005). How are we searching the World Wide Web? A comparison of nine search engine transaction logs. Information Processing & Management, 42(1), 248-263.
Nielsen Media. (2006). Search Engines Most Popular Method of Surfing the Web. Retrieved 30 January, 2006, from http://www.commerce.net/news/press/0416.html <http://www.commerce.net/news/press/0416.html>

Best,
Jim

Jim Jansen | College of Information Sciences and Technology | The Pennsylvania State University |
329F Information Sciences and Technology Building | University Park, PA 16802 | Office: 814-865-6459 | Fax: 814-865-6426 | Email: jjansen at acm.org |