[Air-l] Trolls

Julie Cohen jec at law.georgetown.edu
Thu May 17 15:10:53 PDT 2007

Charles, I'm neither an ethicist nor an expert on the world's religions.
At present many of my guiding principles are derived from parenting.
Here are the relevant two:

1)  Learning acceptable behavior is hard and backsliding is inevitable.
It should be addressed gently but firmly, and with a minimum of fuss.
I.e., if you freak out every time your kid sticks his finger up his
nose, he'll do it even more often just to watch you bounce off the
ceiling.  Good behavior, such as attempts to engage others in a
constructive manner, should be rewarded.

2)  If it reminds me of something I might hear from my 4-year-old
("Mommy, James took my toy.  Mommy, Jeremy called me a poopyhead."), I
don't want to hear it on this or any other list.

The pseudonymity thing doesn't bother me at all in the context of this
list, because I don't think this particular organization needs to rely
on the kind of trust you describe.  None of us is a shrinking violet; we
all have experience publishing and standing behind our own words.  For
me, at least, whether I remain a member of this list has almost nothing
to do with trust and almost everything to do with whether I think it is
wasting my time.  More generally, I think your middle category is really
just the first category in disguise (if you call your kid a
"pseudo-nose-picker" nobody is going to be under any illusion about what
you really called him).

Best, Julie