[Air-l] laptops and Internet access in class

Jean H jeandjinni at gmail.com
Fri May 18 14:10:04 PDT 2007

Hi Steve,

We've actually done this in a second year Communication class (with
some students attending remotely via Elluminate). Including the
remote group (and projecting their chat window onto the main screen)
seemed to enrich and enliven the discussion. Anecdotally, students
who were less inclined to participate vocally in the lecture hall
reported that they were more inclined to have a voice in this
multimodal group discussion. Some students in the lecture hall logged
in to participate textually on the screen, while most sat back to
watch, preferring to interact orally. Certainly raises some question
marks, doesn't it?

There was a recent thread here about incorporating backchannel
discussions in select presentations/panels (presenters willing) at
AOIR this year. That would be interesting to see!

Cheers,
Jean.

Jean Hébert
PhD Candidate, Sessional Instructor