[Air-l] laptops and Internet access in class

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Mon May 21 09:25:12 PDT 2007

Tracy:

I totally agree with you. There is increasing evidence (Gee, 2004,2005;
Jenkins, 2006; Prensky, 2001, 2006; Tapscott & Williams, 2006) that
suggests that interactivity and collaboration through the use of gaming,
net-based and audio-visual technologies is how learning and work often
takes place with younger workers. In fact, Prensky and Gee have
contended that digital natives learn differently and their brains work
differently, and that many professors and other digital immigrants are
part of the problem with education because these individuals learned in
a different world literally. I have been reading about teachers banning
technology instead of figuring out how to work with it. One of the
biggest problems that I have noticed as a communications professional
and as a researcher for the past several years is that at least half of
all professors, administrators and even CE0's that I have encountered
(and this includes folks on the Hill too) are marginal to average
communicators who cannot deliver or sell a message, a theory or an idea.
A multi-disciplined approach that utilizes hybrid education is sorely
needed. I understand that professors often want to be the show because
that is how they were taught, but the reality is that the students are
the show and it the job of the professor to create new stars through
directing and coaching. We have to be more proactive and pragmatic in
our approaches to educating people or we stand to lose a generation. The
proof is in the pudding: look at how many male students, especially
minorities, check out of education around the fourth or fifth grade and
definitely by middle school based on their grades and conduct. This is a
social problem that involved parents, but it also involves teachers who
have been taught one way. How many curricula for professors actually
involve multi-courses on communications, delivery, appearance,
interactivity, coaching and using technology simultaneously? Most
professors, just like actors, ceo's, and high level administrators need
rehearsal and critique of their material before communications
experts,peers, live audiences and their classes if they are to become
real "producers and directors" of scholars. At the end of the day
students often reflect, not always, reflect their professors when they
finish a course. When a professor already decides that no one can
receive an A or few are worthy of such a grade, he or she has already
limited what his or her students can learn because he or she has created
a ceiling for learning and this is what happens when one bans
technology: one creates a ceiling for learning that limits creativity.
By the way the Learning Inquiry editorial by Jason and Jeremy and the
articles are outstanding IMHO.