[Air-l] Technology Transforming Education

Dr. T. Michael Roberts dr_haqiqah at yahoo.com
Tue May 22 13:57:54 PDT 2007

Charles,
The explosion in the number of distance courses is
being driven from the demand side. The move into
cyberspace is being slowed by an inability of supply
to expand quickly enough to keep up with demand. I got
a call from my department chair a few days back
telling me that my ground class did not make. The
online version of that same course hit the cap and
closed the day after registration opened and I am
still getting e-mails from students begging me to add
them over the cap.

At the community college level, enrollments in
distance courses and in developmental courses are
skyrocketing. This is interesting when you consider
that developmental students typically do not do as
well in distance courses as they do in ground courses
whereas highly motivated students with solid academic
preparation typically find that they can make their
“A” with less bother online. We are moving, in
practice, toward an educational system where the good
students learn online and the students who need lots
of help are taught face to face.
T. Michael

--- "Charles Balch Ph.D." <charlie at balch.org> wrote:

> I'd be very interested in hearing what other members
> think are some of the
> forces associated technology driven changes to
> education. Some forces that
> jump out for me are cost, quality, and fun. Fun is
> important to me -- I like
> to play with new toys.
>
> But I want to wander I bit. I've heard it argued
> that the chalkboard has
> changed education more than any other technology.
> Chalkboards are
> relatively cheap, use very little in the way of
> consumables, are kind to the
> environment, and use technology that is easily
> mastered. Chalkboards brought
> education to many who could not otherwise afford the
> cost of entry.
> Chalkboards also created the need for a lot more
> instructors.
>
> Modern computer technology is certainly far beyond
> the chalkboard but I
> think the analogies somewhat hold true. Modern
> technologies are becoming
> cheaper all the time, (arguably) use little
> consumables compared to other
> ways of distributing content, and provide a
> technology that is often easy to
> use. Modern technology also provides us with a
> number of fascinating new
> modalities such as sound, programmed instruction,
> and animation.
>
> But what is driving instructional change? Is it
> faculty who constantly
> strive for a better way? Student demand? Excitement
> about something that is
> new and improved? At the community college where I
> teach, administration's
> primary metric for judging my worth appears to be
> the number of student
> credit hours I pump out. Thus admin loves technology
> that increases credit
> hours delivered while reducing the cost to deliver
> the content. It seems at
> least some higher ed administrators would happily
> buy into Papert's vision
> of the electronic instructor.
>
> Oddly enough, from an altruistic point of view, I
> like the idea of
> inexpensive mass produced education for the masses.
> I particularly like the
> idea of getting the basics covered mechanically if I
> might be able to move
> into more of a role of moderator or facilitator for
> higher level courses.
> >From a not so altruistic point of view, I spent
> many years getting my
> various degrees and would hate to become obsolete.
> How many rocks stars does
> education need?
>
> I think we are getting very close to instructional
> design that removes the
> need for faculty. For many learners and some
> content, good instructional
> designers are already creating content that
> outweighs the value added of the
> instructor. Yes, such content costs a lot more than
> each delivery of "chalk
> and talk" but, once created, the physical cost of
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

“We have to think of ways to use games not just to escape reality but to re-engage with reality.” Henry Jenkins