[Air-l] Technology Transforming Education--EE-Learning

chodge5 at utk.edu chodge5 at utk.edu
Wed May 23 06:14:48 PDT 2007

On Wed, 23 May 2007, Marj Kibby wrote:

> Online learning does have the power to dissolve barriers of time and
> place - but it is not without it's limitations ... some of which have
> been mentioned in previous posts on this subject.

I just read -- can't remember where now -- an article on Freud's
"Disturbance of Memory on the Acropolis," where he talks about the shock
he felt when he finally saw the Acropolis in person and realized that it
was, in fact, real, something he had known intellectually his entire life.
I wonder if anyone has looked at this in the context of computer-mediated
communication. It's probably a common experience for all of us now to
interact with people, occasionally with some frequency and in some depth,
without ever encountering that person in the real world...and then having
the experience of meeting that person (finally) at a conference....perhaps
not dissimilar from how we imagined characters in a novel -- back when
people read novels -- and then saw the movie version.

Chris Hodge
University of Tennessee

"There's quitters to be buried."
John Wayne, Red River